Summary of Skills
- Three years experience in news writing, feature writing, copy editing, and editorial responsibilities
- Ability to write accurately and effectively about a wide range of subject matter
- Skilled in interviewing, research, and working with writers
July 2011 – Present Intern, Alaska/Horizon Air Magazines, Paradigm Communications Group
- Work closely with editors and to learn about all phases of magazine publishing.
- Research story concepts, conduct interviews and write articles as well as fact check, help with special sections, develop event calendars and write sidebars for larger stories.
- Assist with editorial research and art queries and perform some general office tasks.
June 2011 – Present Intern, The Bicycle Paper, Seattle Publishing
- Work with clients, with other staff members and freelancers, research, write, proofread, help select photographs and prepares files for production.
- Gain experience with Filemaker Pro and post news to website.
May 2008– May 2011 News Editor (08-09), Co Editor-in-Chief (09), Editor-in-Chief (09-11), The Belltower, Saint Martin’s University
- Responsible for content, production, planning and coordination.
- Edited stories before publication, checking for grammar and content, as well as helped brainstorm and plan for the next issue.
- Gave feedback and evaluations to writers, and wrote articles as needed.
- Had final say in selecting staff members, as well as training them, and made sure all writers met deadlines.
March 2008– May 2011 Peer Reader, The Learning and Writing Center, Saint Martin’s University
- Helped students improve academic papers by revising their work and offered suggestions in both content and grammar.
January 2009 – August 2009 Editor and Co-Writer, One Rule, Many Men: The Monks of Saint Martin’s Abbey
- Responsible for content, production, planning and coordination of the student driven book, One Rule, Many Men, a compilation of creative non-fiction essays about the monks who currently live on campus.
- Helped write and edit student essays for publication, checking for grammar and content.
- Revised previously written stories, as well as the introduction to the book.
- Had final say in layout, photographs used, as well as the cover design.
2011 Bachelor of Arts Degree in English, Saint Martin’s University
- Senior captain of the Saint Martin’s Women’s Basketball Team where we were Academic All-Americans for the 2008-2009, 2009-2010, and 2010-2011 seasons.
- Awarded the English Inaugural Faculty Prize Award (May 2010).
- Member of the Saint Martin’s University Society of Fellows (inducted 2009).
- Have been Greater Northwest Athletic Conference (GNAC) First Team Academic All-Conference each year eligible (2008 – 2011 seasons).
- Dean’s List every semester enrolled in Saint Martin’s University.
Clubs and Activities
- Sole student member of the Saint Martin’s University Mission Statement Committee (2010 –2010).
- Secretary and Historian of Saint Martin’s chapter of Sigma Tau Delta, the English National Honor’s Society (2008 – 2011).
- Sole student member of Saint Martin’s University Marketing Committee (2009 – 2010).
- Member of the Saint Martin’s University Choral (2008 – 2010).
- Senior Thesis Defense: Presented my essay “Soul of Rome”: Nostalgia in Dante’s Inferno and Shakespeare’s Julius Caesar in front of the Saint Martin’s University English Department and received an A (April 2011).
- Presented my critical essay Cleopatra’s Androgynous Nature: The Combination of Feminine, Natural Love and Masculine Passion” and my short story “Anatomy of a Freak Show” at the 2011 International Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society Convention.
- Presented my critical essays “Getting to the Top: The Split of Identity in Capitalistic Society” and “Dante’s Use of St. Bernard’s Contemplative Process in The Divine Comedy” at the 2010 International Sigma Tau Delta English Honor Society Convention.